National Three Peaks Challenge

Fancy a wee bit of exercise anyone?



Outline map showing the location of the three peaks.

The National Three Peaks Challenge is a mountain endurance challenge in Great Britain in which participants attempt to climb the highest peaks of each of the island's three countries. Whilst the challenge has no official rules or time restrictions, many participants try and complete it within 24 hours.

The mountains climbed, in order of elevation, are Ben Nevis in Western Scotland (1344 m), Snowdon in North Wales (1085 m), and Scafell Pike in North-Western England (978 m). In all the challenge involves some 42 km (26 miles) of ascent and descent, with total travel approaching 765 km (around 475 miles). The challenge is usually undertaken starting with Ben Nevis, the highest, and for many the most distant.

Target times are generally suggested as being around 4 hours for Snowdon, and 5 hours for each of the others. In itself this time isn't unrealistic for most relatively fit people, but it's certainly not a gentle walk, and when three climbs are required within 24 hours the Challenge becomes more difficult, draining your energy and depriving you of sleep.


Photo: Snowdon

My brother and some work colleagues completed this triple hike / drive megathon at the weekend in an effort to raise lots of money for charity. By the sound of things, it was no walk in the park and several people got helicoptered off the mountains because of cold and exhaustion. One poor unfortunate soul of a unknown team wandered off the path and died.

If anyone is interested donating to a worthy cause (Cancer Research), you can click here
It's all legit and above board

...Or feel free to just peruse the photos and reminisce about when you were young and fit! Extra points if you can guess which one is my wee bro (hint = beer!).

21 comments:

Megan June 05, 2008 2:30 am  

Always wanted to climb Snowdon.

Don't think I could do a three-a-day though!

Martin June 05, 2008 5:33 am  

that is a SERIOUS challenge in 24 hours.

Seriously serious.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) June 05, 2008 10:55 am  

Megan: I Climbed Snowdon once - started with shorts and t-shirt but luckily I had a fleece with me as it was snowing on top!

Megan: I know - I reckon of lot of aching limbs after that one!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) June 05, 2008 11:21 am  

Xbox: Just like a romp in the bedroom really :-)

Martin June 05, 2008 11:23 am  

3 peaks against the clock!

My life in a feckin' nutshell...


nice one ;0)

Anonymous,  June 05, 2008 1:32 pm  

No way I'd try that, climbing the local big one Slieve Donard (2000 feet) is quite enough for me. I did go to the top of Snowdon once. On the train.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) June 05, 2008 1:46 pm  

Nick: It would be good punishment for the drunken yobs in your post today!

Queen Goob June 05, 2008 4:18 pm  

I'd be that poor lost soul....with a beer.

24 hours? All of that?

Poor lost soul with a keg!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) June 05, 2008 4:49 pm  

Queen of Goob: Ha ha! - true but I wouldn't fancy carrying the keg - need to get a sherpa!

Baino June 05, 2008 5:34 pm  

I'm exhausted just reading about it! Couldn't they just have done a door knock appeal?

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) June 05, 2008 5:41 pm  

Baino: I'm with you on this one - but then I'm dog gone lazy!

L.P. June 05, 2008 6:38 pm  

Just reading this exhausted me... really, i'm so tired i can barely lift my finger to type... three mountains... nah, no mountains for me - i think i'll just keep donating art to the cancer society to do my part for them.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) June 05, 2008 6:49 pm  

Lakota; All donations (art, money etc) gratefully received! - If you can't bring Momma to the mountain and that all that jazz!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) June 05, 2008 7:32 pm  

Lakota: You just made me do that 'thing' in my pants again!

Los Alexander June 05, 2008 9:20 pm  

That would be a blast - although I must conquer Aconcagua first right here in my backyard!

Thanks for the comment on my blog - we'll be in touch amigo.

Shaunj June 06, 2008 7:25 am  

well I'm boll*exed just reading about climbing those mountains in one day. Respect.

Queen Goob June 06, 2008 8:05 am  

Quick - A serpa? A SERPA????? No way, too much work and I'm a lazy bastard. I'm thinking more along the lines of an alpaca.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) June 06, 2008 1:05 pm  

Alexanders: I made it to the base of Aconcagua - that was enough exercise for me!

Shaunj: I'm better at describing climbing than I am actually climbing!

Queen of Goob: I must confess had to google 'alpaca' - what a weird looking animal but makes great sweaters!

Ed & Jeanne June 06, 2008 5:32 pm  

I'd totally do this...well, except for all the hiking and what not. No, just kidding. We have a lot of similar things out here on the west coast; lots of mountains to be stupid on.

ps - Glad you got a spanking from Lakota. She does spankings right!

Anonymous,  June 06, 2008 5:36 pm  

I had to grab my buke of records for this :) Apparently the fastest individual total time for climbing the three mountains is 4 hr 16 min by Joss Naylor from 8-9 Jul 1971.

WHAAAT?!?! How?

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) June 06, 2008 6:09 pm  

VE: I've been out your neck o' the woods a few times - Hard to beat it for beautiful scenery.

Yep - my butt cheeks are still burning from the spanking Lakota gave me!

K8: Joss Naylor is a cheetah - right?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP