San Telmo, Buenos Aires

I finally got the WIFI working in our new place via our DSL service 'Speedy' so internet is now functional in any room of our one bedroom apartment!  We had cable internet in the old place with Fibertel (Cablevision) and neither is very fast compared with USA or UK. They both advertise 3 megabytes per second but it's no where near that from the tests I've done but it's better than dangling from the balcony trying to steal someone signal.

We haven't got TV connected yet, which is a blessing in disguise as far as I'm concerned.  We've been going thru the old DVD collection so it's been fun watching / rewatching some vintage old stuff. I finally got around to watching Billy Connollys World Tour of England, Ireland & Wales which I've had for about 6 years which was a good nostalgic trip down memory lane. I also have ALL the old Star Trek movies so it's been a Kirk & Spock marathon overload! The wife is not a big fan and cannie' take anymore Captain!

Here are some photos of the new neighbourhood. I've been happy snapping as I stroll around.  It's one of the oldest parts of the city and has an interesting mix of locals (portenos) and tourists. Many of the the buildings (that thankfully haven't been torn down yet) are really old, ornate and beautiful and there are a few great indoor and outdoor markets.

I've got 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly' playing on dvd right now so you must excuse me as I watch my bad boy hero Clint shoot 'em up!

Tags: San Telmo Buenos Aires, San Telmo Tango, San Telmo Bars, San Telmo Barrio, San Telmo Restaurants, San Telmo Apartments rent

If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates via email or RSS reader Click Here

14 comments:

Thriftcriminal September 15, 2008 3:12 am  

Nice pics man.

Looking forward to the next trek film? Apparently Simon Pegg plays a young Scotty.

Baino September 15, 2008 3:55 am  

Oh Quickie, how you make my feet itch! The courtyard looks so romantic. Is that your view?
The Mosque looks a bit out of place!

Martin September 15, 2008 4:00 am  

I LIKE those pics. Nice looking part of town.

Anonymous,  September 15, 2008 10:21 am  

A brilliant tour. Obviously a lot of venerable old buildings steeped in history. I liked the dancing in the middle of the street. And those chocolates really had me salivating!

Anonymous,  September 15, 2008 12:57 pm  

Nice place you're living in now. What neighborhood in that? San Telmo?

Anonymous,  September 15, 2008 12:57 pm  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous,  September 15, 2008 12:57 pm  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous,  September 15, 2008 1:03 pm  

Looks nice, funny In my head Buenos Aires was a dump......... A bit like ballybough.......mood altering stuff them pictures..... something like srooms!

Ed & Jeanne September 15, 2008 3:11 pm  

Hey...I recognize a few of those places. Thanks for the memories...

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) September 15, 2008 8:49 pm  

@ Thrifty: Thanks - I heard there was another in the works - they'll need zimmer frames for some of them by now

@ Baino: Not our courtyard unfortunately but one nearby. It's not a Mosque. Only 2% Muslim population here. I think it's a Russian Orthodox church

@ Xbox: ta much - yeah it's pretty cool

@ Nick: Cheers - the pastry and chocolate shops here are to die for

@ L o N: Yes - Good guess - Did the post title give it away ;-))

@ Roy: A lot of south American capitals are horrible but this my friend is the Paris of South America!

@ VE: That explains the "VE was here!" grafitti!

Megan September 17, 2008 2:40 am  

Well that just blows my little "new home" photo essay out of the water!

Thanks for your comments sorry I didn't reply to them all. I'm still catching up.

Do you have a soft spot for "the one with the whales?" because I sure do...

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) September 17, 2008 8:55 am  

@ Megan: I hope your move went smoothly - I'll over to check later

"the one with the whales?" ? - it's early a.m. here so you lost me?

Megan September 17, 2008 4:49 pm  

Didn't you mention Star Trek movies in this post? Or did you mean the series? I'm not tracking well, myself...

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) September 18, 2008 4:44 pm  

ah yes - watched that too - abit drawn out and spocks mind meld with the wahle was hilarious!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP