New Policy from AMEX - No more than 4 AMEX issued credit cards

I haven't applied for any credit cards recently in fact I've been closing accounts where the annual fee became due. I decided to start a credit card churn last month so first application was for the no annual fee Amex Hilton for 40K points for $750 spend within 90 days + a limited (now expired bonus - sorry) of 25K points for an additional $3K spend within 6 months link.

When I clicked submit I got the message they would need more time to consider my application.  I got a call a few days later from an AMEX rep who said they received my request for the new card but due to a new policy of no more than 4 AMEX branded cards per person (business and personal) she could only approve my app if I closed 2 other accounts. (Note: AMEX cards issued by banks etc are not subject to this limit) 

This was actually ideal because I had recently just closed 2 gold cards (where I netted 175K bonus Membership Rewards points) but still had two Delta Gold cards (personal and business) where I netted a bonus of 80K Delta points, where the annual fee was now due so I asked her to close those and she went ahead and approved my Hilton card.  

Hilton points are not worth a lot e.g. 30K points will get you 1 night at a reasonable hotel with a standard nightly rate of ~$200 so this offer is worth approx $400 (not bad for 5 minutes work).

I recently converted the 75K bonus miles from the Bank of America Virgin Atlantic card into 150K Hilton points (here's how) so I now have a nice little nest egg of $250K Hilton points.  I'd like to add to that so next up on the churn is the no annual fee Citi Hilton Visa. 

Note: I don't receive referral commissions for any credit cards
Tags: ..New Policy from AMEX - No more then 4 AMEX issued credit cards..
If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates click here

3 comments:

Jack,  December 18, 2012 7:25 pm  

The AMEX 4 revolving card limit has applied to me for the last 2 years. They always first deny me then call me and ask me if I want to close one to get the new one.

ArizonaGuy December 19, 2012 2:06 am  

Interesting. I presently have 4 personal and until a week ago had 2 business accounts. The newest one is a Biz Gold opened just prior to Thanksgiving.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) December 19, 2012 9:14 pm  

@Jack & ArizonaGuy: interesting - may be case by case then - I had 8 cards until recently but now just 4

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP