Government in Argentina extends LENT

In a drastic measure aimed at tackling the widespread food shortages in Argentina, the government here has extended the religious period of Lent. The Lenten period of 40 days of fasting and prayer officially ended last Sunday. The new president Cristina has been under increasing pressure (including street protests in the capital) to address the food shortages of meat, poultry, eggs, vegetables and cooking oil brought on by the farmers strike. The extension of the Lenten period is also to prohibit alcohol and is effective immediately and will continue until further notice. The population here is over 90 percent Catholic.

"It's just not F#$%in' fair!" said an Irishman who preferred to remain anonymous. "I've just spent 40 days without caviar and Cristal champagne and now I'm expected to give up me beer! - Me big fat arse I will! - I'm probably going to convert to Judaism! - I was always jealous they had to go confession only once a year anyway, but this is enough to make me swap sides, although I'm not sure about the whole circumcision thing at my age!"

A spokesman for the Vatican said "We were thinking of extending Lent ourselves, since it's been getting easier over the passage of time, so we'll be monitoring the situation as a sort of trial run for the rest of the world."

What do you think? Have your say and comment below.


Photo: New Argentinian Diet

17 comments:

Anonymous,  March 27, 2008 4:54 pm  

LOL!
Very funny! You had me going for a minute!

Shaunj March 28, 2008 5:08 am  

classic, it's no joke with the harpic , it's a big seller in Russia

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) March 28, 2008 9:10 am  

Gaucho Gal: I hope it remains a joke but things are getting out of control!

Shaunj: Father Jack Hackett inspired the toilet cleaner drrrrink!

Caro March 28, 2008 12:30 pm  

Do you not know how the song goes?

Goodbye to the port and brandy,to the vodka and the Stag,
To the Smithwick and the Harpic, and the bottle, draught and keg


So no Harpic for you, I'm afraid.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) March 28, 2008 1:14 pm  

Caro: Ah c'mon - is there no vice left for me? - ooh I forgot about the ol' glue sniffin' - that's not a sin is it?

Unknown March 28, 2008 1:17 pm  

This is the way to doit:
1)Eat the olives and keep the 'carozo' to a) keep the sensation or b) throw it in the eye when Mrs KK walks by
2) Peel the onion very slowly, by the third layer, you won't feel hungry any more (alternative: keep peeling until you start crying, then you won't feel hungry again!)
3)Pour some salt on your water, mouth wahses have always been an effective way to stop feeling peckish
4) Harpic is good for decoration!
:-) Must take it like that or I'll start crying! Oh God!!!

Unknown March 28, 2008 1:18 pm  

This is the way to doit:
1)Eat the olives and keep the 'carozo' to a) keep the sensation or b) throw it in the eye when Mrs KK walks by
2) Peel the onion very slowly, by the third layer, you won't feel hungry any more (alternative: keep peeling until you start crying, then you won't feel hungry again!)
3)Pour some salt on your water, mouth washes have always been an effective way to stop feeling peckish
4) Harpic is good for decoration!
:-) Must take it like that or I'll start crying! Oh God!!!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) March 28, 2008 2:50 pm  

Patricia: Good advice indeed -thanks!
I was planning on drinking the Harpic as I've heard it has hallucinogenic properties which should help curb my hunger pangs!

Baino March 28, 2008 4:49 pm  

Clearly I am an ignorant when it comes to alternatives for alcohol! I likes me drink but Harpic? I'd rather distill the onion! Or you could just spin around a bit then stand still, the effect is similar but not as long lasting!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) March 28, 2008 5:14 pm  

Baino: Not sure Fr Ted ever made it out your way but here's a classic including what happens when you drink Toilet Duck

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVzkUK41yI

Anonymous,  March 28, 2008 9:32 pm  

And don't forget Jews are guaranteed 8 presents for Hanukkah, whether they are notify or nice!

Caro March 29, 2008 5:09 am  

As far as I know Christy never mentioned glue sniffing, so feel free.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) March 29, 2008 2:05 pm  

Jamie: That's right I forgot about the Jewish Santa Claus aka Hanukkah Harry!

Caro: Damn! The locals were a few steps ahead of me - No glue left in the shops! :-(

RED MOJO March 29, 2008 5:50 pm  

I'm not gonna catch the first flight out there to visit you that's for sure! Don't they have a good window cleaner out there? I really prefer that!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) March 29, 2008 6:24 pm  

Red Mojo: I only drink window cleaner when I want to get rid of hungover red bloodshot eyes - makes them sparkle too!

Curly K March 29, 2008 10:00 pm  

Jaysus, that's me well sorted for a long time - no need to buy any more alcohol as have several presses full of cleaning products which were never used - if I go through them all I won't notice the mess anymore LOL

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) March 30, 2008 3:44 am  

Curly K: Any chance I could "borrow" some Draino or Jif - I'm runnin' a bit low here - hic!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP