Argentinian TV - What's on your Box?


Photo: TV Show - Bailando por un Sueno

Television has changed a lot since I was an innocent wee lad back in Ireland. As a very young lad, I remember watching TV programs like The Waltons (good night John Boy!) and then in my late teens watching Beverly Hills 90210 (I had the hots for Kelly). We had some great home grown soaps like The Riordans and Bracken where none other than actor Gabriel Byrne started out. Then there were those nice 'wholesome' shows like One Man and his Dog where you watched a farmer control his dog solely by whistling and the dog guided sheep thru an obstacle course and into a pen (riveting stuff I kid you not!)

Then came the advent of Reality TV with Survivor, Big Brother, The Bachelor and that god awful horrible series called The Swan where contestants were competing to have extensive plastic surgery. I hated all of these shows and would rather watch paint (or indeed cow dung) dry.

Around the same time we had the explosion of quiz shows like Who wants to be a Millionaire and You are The Weakest Link - Goodbye!

Now we are in the era of talent shows. American Idol, X-Factor, Pop Idol etc and they have gone one step further and added celebrities to these 'talent' contests.

The current unbelievably popular craze on Argentinian TV is Bailando por un Sueno (Dancing for a Dream). It's been around for a few years. They pair up numerous professional dancers with a celebrity (non dancer) and whittle them down over several (agonising) months. Although I refuse to watch an entire show (well over 2 hours), I do like to watch the highlights (go figure!).

Surprisingly I couldn't find anything on YouTube (maybe copyright issues), so I had to do some technical wizardry to port these videos up (I hope you appreciate the lengths I go to just to educate you to the Argentinian way of life!)

Since all these type of shows are syndicated world wide, I presume they have something like this in your neck of the woods - yes????????? - Let me in know comments pls - Muchas Gracias!




If YouTube doesn't work you can see it here



If YouTube doesn't work you can see it here



If YouTube doesn't work you can see it here



If YouTube doesn't work you can see it here

I'm not sure RTE (Irish TV) would go for this!

26 comments:

Unknown June 16, 2008 3:58 am  

They got a show "Dancing with the Stars" over here that sounds just like that show.

Unknown June 16, 2008 4:03 am  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown June 16, 2008 4:04 am  

By the way, (after looking at the videos), where can I get tickets to go see this show "en vivo"?

Martin June 16, 2008 6:53 am  

That's no 'strictly come dancing' I'll tell you...

closest show to that I've seen cost me 30 quid in Amsterdam...

Anonymous,  June 16, 2008 7:32 am  

Uuuuuuuuhhhh!!!! So nice pictures and vids!! Very nice dancing and so beautiful girls! Just unbelievable! Thanks for the post!

Anonymous,  June 16, 2008 8:29 am  

Reminds me of when Miley sang "The Byroad to Glenroe". Sort of. Well, not really.

I really miss "One Man and His Dog" though.

Thriftcriminal June 16, 2008 10:15 am  

Right, I'm moving to Argentina, can you put me up 'til I get a gaff? Hang on a sec.........Ah, the wife says no fucking way and that I have to stop looking at smutty stuff on the web. Shite.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) June 16, 2008 10:56 am  

Jerry: Welcome - I think they have a bigger budget for clothes on "Dancing with the Stars"

In fact I don't think they have a budget for clothes on 'Bailando por un Sueno' - thankfully!
- tickets sell out months in advance and I'm going before you!

Xbox: Cripes! 30 quid - I hope that included a 'happy finish'!

BilligflΓΌge Amerika: Welcome - glad you liked it - Interesting name btw.

Primal: Yeah - all those girls remind me of raunchy Biddy (the hussie!) - I think the BBC do a DVD box set of 'One Man and his Dog' put it on your xmas wish list!

Thriftcriminal: Sure you can come on over and stay but only if i can send my wife your direction! - Ouch! - just got slapped by the missus!

Queen Goob June 16, 2008 11:13 am  

Over here we have Club Juana and for an extra fifty bicks she'll dance in your lap.

RED MOJO June 16, 2008 11:24 am  

Wow, that it some incredibly misogynistic crap! I watched it all and found myself stuck between outrage and "yeah baby". What's that say about me?

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) June 16, 2008 11:42 am  

Queen of Goob: Sounds like you and Xbox hang out in the same kind of places!

Red Mojo: It's a very, very Machista over here

Shaunj June 16, 2008 1:47 pm  

I'll never listen to Celine Dion in the same way again. In fact I just think I'll never listen to her again.

Thriftcriminal June 16, 2008 1:48 pm  

"Ouch! - just got slapped by the missus!"

Occupational hazard :-)

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) June 16, 2008 2:09 pm  

Shaunj: I wasn't paying too much attention to the music if you know what I mean ;-)

Thriftcriminal: Luckily I'm tough as nails and can take a punch or too! Ouch! just got slapped again! {cowers nervously in the corner}

Baino June 16, 2008 4:00 pm  

Hahaha . . well mysogeny aside (I notice he doesn't get his kit off!) This is bloody hilarious. The Brasilian goes Argentinian! Having said that, if I had an ass like those girls I'd probably flaunt it too! As for the boobs . . .what did she use as an implant pudding bowls!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) June 16, 2008 4:41 pm  

Baino: Yeah he has a tough job alright! and I know, her tits are that firm, you could bounce pennies of them!

Megan June 16, 2008 4:53 pm  

Fortunately (or unfortunately? - I'm not sure) I can't view these from work.

But I am getting the general idea.

I can't sit through "Dancing with the Stars" but then again, I can't figure out why they call some of them Stars in the first place.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) June 16, 2008 5:04 pm  

Megan: - you're missing out on the youtube vids! but you're right "Stars" is pushing it a little for that show!

Soulskier June 16, 2008 7:14 pm  

Como se dice "cheesy"en CastellaΓ±o? Them Argies ladies have some stellar behinds, I must say

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) June 16, 2008 7:34 pm  

Living in Patagonia: You ask - I answer - see here Dem dare argies behinds be fine - fo' sure - McLovin!

Manuel June 16, 2008 9:07 pm  

crikey mummy.......!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) June 16, 2008 9:16 pm  

Manuel: Which one is your mummy? - never mind, your Mum is hot!

Anonymous,  June 17, 2008 7:58 am  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous,  June 17, 2008 8:02 am  

There is a show here with the same name but it's from Mexico. I use to watch it at first but got tired of it.

I don't know you but I personally HATE reality TV, now ABC is giving The Bachelorette and soon NBC will start a reality show where teens who want to be parents are put to the test taking care of infants and todlers. What will they think of next?!

reinade78704 June 18, 2008 1:56 am  

hmm, what does billigfluge mean (insert double dots above u -- umlaut? is it called?)

i think this is hilarious, but what have made it more hilarious would have been if there had been a reggaeton version of this song(the celine dion one), which is what i've come to expect with shows that offer up this level of cheese.

livinginpatagonia.com, at least in mexico, 'cheesy' es 'cursi,'

there ya go. any s. american versions of the word?

thanks, btw, irishexpat, for your informative blog!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) June 18, 2008 6:04 am  

Nature Lover: Yes I think it may have all started in Mexico and was then syndicated around Latin America.

I saw a UK version of that show about kids looking after babies - hated it!

Reinade78704: Thanks for dropping by.

Billig flΓΌge = cheap flights in German

re: "a reggaeton version of this song(the celine dion one)" - Love it!

I think cheesy = cursi down here too

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP