Do You Like PENIS?

Snack Street, Beijing

I was asked the rather unusual question above on a visit to Beijing, China a few days ago. I was on a part business, part pleasure trip. More on the trip in a later post. A bunch of us visited the 'Snack Street' market on Sunday where they serve all sorts of weird food stuff on a stick like in the photos below.

Crickets on a stick -yummy!

Scorpions on a stick

Star Fish on a stick

Live scorpions on a stick

Grubs on a stick

More scorpions on a stick


Other tasty stuff on a stick

These eastern delicacies which were all impaled on a thin wooden stick included live scorpions which had been skewered and somehow managed to keep wriggling. They were dipped in hot oil for a minute before being served with a spicy sauce - yum...ouch!

More tasty stuff on a stick

Other treats included crickets, grubs (fat caterpillar type blobs), centipedes, sea snakes, beetles, silk worms, star fish and .....wait for it........sheep penis! - yes you heard right!

SHEEP PENIS

Always on the lookout for a good photo, I reached into my pants and pulled mine out (my camera that is!) and tried to focus on the woolly ones curly members on a stick (see above).

As I was snapping my picture, the stall vendor went into serious hard sell tactics and shouted and pointed directly at me - "YOU LIKE PENIS?"

I tried to ignore him and get a better picture but the more I ignored him, the more he pointed and the louder he shouted - "YOU WANT TRY PENIS?" - HEY MISTER - YOU LIKE PENIS?"

Needless to say the bunch of lads I was traveling with and everyone within a 20 meter radius found this hysterical so I retreated hastily with my tail/penis between my legs.

I never got to try penis and I probably never will - Not that there's anything wrong with trying penis!

Snack Street, Beijing, China

Tags: .. Snack Street Beijing China, Snack Street..


If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates click here

16 comments:

Trina September 15, 2009 1:24 pm  

Okay, I am in hysterics. Best post yet.

TCL September 15, 2009 1:56 pm  

Awesome! Two thumbs up.

What else did they have on a stick. I thought fried bugs is mostly a Thai thing?

Baino September 15, 2009 4:32 pm  

I tried to laugh but was too busy gagging! Tell me you didn't eat any of that stuff? Then I suspect there's a fair bit of penis in sausages.

Fida September 15, 2009 6:59 pm  

I am still laughing...

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) September 15, 2009 11:12 pm  

@ Trina: Thanks, glad you liked it

@ TCL: They had 'normal' stuff like beef, chicken and fish too

@ Baino: I tried some squid but that was as adventurous as I got

@ Fida: Ditto

@ Maxi: So does yours

Thriftcriminal September 16, 2009 5:04 am  

Jaysus, yer man Bear Grylls would be in heaven there.

TotallySpain September 16, 2009 8:59 am  

Shouldn´t this post have been titled DICK ON A STICK ?

Martin September 16, 2009 12:36 pm  

That was the perfect opportunity to pull a 'crocodile dundee' moment...

'That's not a penis...'

nick September 16, 2009 4:58 pm  

Bugs on sticks look even more revolting than bugs in the flesh. No way would I find those appetising unless I hadn't eaten in six months.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) September 17, 2009 4:21 am  

@ Thrifty: definitely up his street

@ Ken: LOL - wish I'd thought of that

@ Xbox: I can safely say mine is bigger

@ Nick: It was like one of those awful reality shows where they make the contestants eat bugs except here you pay and do it voluntary

@ Stevo: Interesting CV you're compiling there!

Anil September 18, 2009 7:10 pm  

hahah, what a sales pitch!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) September 21, 2009 11:54 am  

@ Anil: they could sell you a bridge here

wandermom September 21, 2009 4:44 pm  

Hilarious.
Love your eye for a good photo - and a good story.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) September 21, 2009 10:47 pm  

@ Wandermom: Thanks - it's fun to do

Ed & Jeanne September 23, 2009 1:34 pm  

You were right, this is worst than the canned meats I had on my blog. I don't know..the wifey-poo is always saying there's nothing like a good penis sometimes. I don't think this is what she had in mind though...

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) September 23, 2009 10:57 pm  

@ VE: ha ha - make sure wifey is kept happy!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP