Punta Del Este - TITS 'n' ALL !


Photo: Fashionable TITS!

ok - almost finished rubbin' yer nose in my latest travels, but we did a quick side trip to Cabo Polonio which has no road as such and can only be reached by 4 x 4 vehicles where you are loaded into the back of a large 4 x 4 truck like cattle and transported across a sand obstacle course (not for the faint hearted!). It's basic, remote and it was raining yet again so we bailed and headed for the blitz and glitz of Punta Del Este for a few days.

This small beach city is famous for being the playground of the rich and famous a la Cannes in France. It was noticeably expensive with designer shops, fancy restaurants and people trying way too hard to look important. I seriously wanted to slap them hard and remind them they were just as unimportant as me, but I resisted the temptation as most of them were working out at the gym and would likely have kicked my wee Irish arse and that included the women.

Much as I loathe pretentious people, I don't care too much for the baking hot sun either, as I tend to go pink, then red, then peel and then if I'm lucky, I finally get some colour, so I hid under a parasol on the beach most of the time with my beer cooler until the sun eased off a bit. Finally we headed to Montevideo for one night. It has a Spanish feel to the city with an 'old city' section full of bars and restaurants in narow streets. After a good night out and a day at the yaught club (sounds posh but it isn't really) we got the 3 hour Buquebus ferry back to Buenos Aires.

I found a rather interesting shop while taking a wee stroll in Montevideo - (photo above) - Ten out of ten for whoever came up with the marketing idea for the name of this chain of stores - I asked if I could get an empty branded plastic bag as a keepsake but they having none of tit!

Quite a catchy name don't ya think? - Know a better one? - let me know!

9 comments:

Pam March 13, 2008 11:46 am  

haha @ 'having none of tit!' lol

Pam March 13, 2008 12:59 pm  

thx for the link on the difference bt roundabouts/traffic circles. i've driven through both, and to be honest, i don't like either of em lol i would never be able to drive in ny or europe...be too nervous!

Longhorn Dave March 13, 2008 1:53 pm  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Longhorn Dave March 13, 2008 1:56 pm  

Somehow we missed the Tit store when we were in Montevideo. Great find. I'll have to make my wife go in and buy something so we can get a bag.

It would be funny if they sell bras.

You should try Punta in late Nov or end of the season when all the posers aren't there and there isn't wall to wall people. It is not so bad... It is still pretentious though.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) March 13, 2008 10:28 pm  

Ciara: I think you're the only one who spotted that tit pun - good luck with the roundabouts too!


Longhorn: It was off season when we were there but still way too many posers for my liking - ask them to double bag the bra for safe keeping and give me one pls!

Anonymous,  July 03, 2008 9:55 pm  

You should have stopped in to Punta del Diablo. Its a little less remote than Cabo Polonio, but still charming.

El Diablo Tranquilo is an inn/hostel worth traveling for

Anonymous,  July 06, 2008 10:33 am  

Yeah, TIT is a Uruguayan classic. Didn't you pass Gay Mar and Tu Gays on 18 de julio? Those are two runner ups.

Too bad you didn't get to enjoy Cabo Polonio. It is meant to be a very rustic place - hence the reason why they prohibit the construction of roads and large buildings, as well as the installment of electricity in the area.

I too must agree that Punta del Este is way too pretentious. It is not representative of the real Uruguay. If one goes there trying to escape Argentina for a few days - wrong place to go. Punta is a city the caters to rich Argentines and Brazilians who have nothing better to do but to show off how much money they have.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) July 06, 2008 4:36 pm  

@ Sand: We spent 3 days in Punta de Diablo and loved it!

@ Margaux: I wish i had noticed those - they would make good photos too. Yeah way too much snobbery and glitz with Punta Del Este!

PilotGirlie March 09, 2010 9:03 pm  

Oh man, personally, I love Punta del Este, at least they have their streets labeled clearly!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP