Honduras and the Bay Islands



We headed north from San Salvador and eventually reached La Ceiba in Honduras which is the jumping off point for the Bay Islands. We had a bit of hassle getting local money (Lempiras) as the first 5 ATM's said "No - No No!" - but finally number 6 said "Ya man!" - Phew!



After spending the night in La Ceiba we got the ferry (vomit comet) to the largest island Roatan. The crossing was fairly rough and people were barfing left right and centre. One poor bloke had the horrible job of wheeling around a big bin to collect the puke bags and hand out paper towels. He obviously had a strong stomach as the waft of puke was , well sickening.



Roatan got a great write up in our guide book but it still didn't do it justice. This place is heaven on earth! - absolutely breath takingly gorgeous! There's a picture postcard beach (West Bay) with white sand, palm trees and transparent luke warm water. There's a huge coral reef just off the shore which you can swim out to and snorkel. I have scuba dived the Great Barrier Reef but this was as good if not better. We repeated the following repetitive but satisfying itinerary for 3 days in a row.



Lazy late breakfast

Lazy day on the beach

Semi energetic snorkelling

Coctails at sunset

Dinner at a great Thai restaurant (Mr Tongs) yep! 3 times in a row! It's true I am somewhat of a creature of habit!




Next stop Belize!

7 comments:

SilverFox May 24, 2008 10:47 am  

This place is truly heaven on earth. Looks as though you are enjoying your adventure. Give my best to the little woman.

Cheers Mate !

Baino May 24, 2008 5:49 pm  

Ahh put me in the picture! It's gorgeous. My fingers are freezing this morning . . .and steady on the Big Reef now . . you know ours is the best and the biggest and the only one you can see from SPACE!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) May 24, 2008 6:20 pm  

Silverfox: You finally left a comment - Wahoo! - Good to hear from you mate. Hope things are working out - if yo know what I mean! - Will give you abuzz next week when I´m back

Baino: I know it´s hard to beat your turf so - It´s still # 1 in my books as are many of the wonders of the world in my opinion - why so many Aussies abandon ship defies belief!

Shaunj May 26, 2008 6:08 am  

now I could do with a few nights in Mr Tongs..hardly any Thai palces in Poland...I miss my red curries/tom yum soups

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) May 26, 2008 2:48 pm  

Shaunj: The ol`red curry is my fav and they gave you buckets of shrimp with it here - washed down with a few beers - Thai food heaven!

Nomadic Matt May 26, 2008 6:37 pm  

Belize! I spent a month in Belize. Where are you going? Maybe I can give you some information. Let me know if you want some help.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) May 27, 2008 11:37 am  

Nomadic Matt: Thanks for the offer but I`m playing catchup with my blog entries and have now left Belize - just posted the blog entry for that

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP