Got Milk?

At 11 years of age, on an usually hot Irish summers day, I returned home after playing football at school and parched with the thirst, I went straight for the fridge and grabbed a bottle of milk. They still delivered the old glass pint bottles to your door every morning back then and came once a week to collect the money.

I poured my self a half pint of icey cold milk and hastily downed it in one. The relief of finally being hydrated was hugely satisfying but as the last mouthful washed against the back of my throat, I became aware of the horror - oh the horror! Alas the milk was sour, nasty, curdled milk.



Foam bubbles like a rabies victim started to spew from my mouth. I puked like the girl from the Exorcist movie!



I never drank milk again - EVER! - Not on it's own - Not in tea, not a drop!
They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger but I sometimes wonder!

Tag: Sour Milk, puke drinking milk, curdled milk, milk vomit

.

9 comments:

Baino August 03, 2008 11:11 pm  

Dear Paddy
Thanks for the memories and the graphic visuals while I'm eating my lunch! Everyone knows to sniff before you pour!

Not impressed and feeling queezy

Baino

Anonymous,  August 04, 2008 9:03 am  

You could always try soya milk instead, we've been drinking it for decades. It tastes different to cows' milk but once you appreciate it, there's no looking back. And unlike cows' milk, it takes weeks to go off. Leave an open packet in the fridge during a two week holiday and it'll be just fine when you get back!

Ed & Jeanne August 04, 2008 1:49 pm  

Thanks for those visuals too... That always helps!

Megan August 04, 2008 9:52 pm  

Oh I know that back of throat feeling. 'Tis truly horrible, but I haven't given up on milk entirely, because as Travis McGee says, "there is little damn else you can put on cornflakes."

Thriftcriminal August 05, 2008 4:01 am  

Ick, just for that I'm tagging you
http://thriftcriminal.org/?p=301

Damien Moran August 05, 2008 9:39 am  

I'm an avid milk fan. Many a head turned when I would order a pint glass of cold milk with my dinner in Polish restaurants. Many didn't have enough milk. Many didn't have a button for milk on their register so just gave it to me free. The glee, the glee.

Not even your barfing could turn me off the bainne. In order to re-enter our fraternity, I suggest calling 'Coiste Comhairleach um Bainne agus ThΓ‘irgΓ­ Bainne' or the 'Advisory Committee on Milk and Milk Products'.

I'm sure they would aid your re-induction to the joys of the white stuff. I'm off to the fridge.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) August 05, 2008 6:04 pm  

@ Baino: I seriously felt ill after writing this post - I kid you not!

@ Nick: I did try the soy milk - my sister likes it - I never took to it and anything that even looks like milk makes me wretch!

@VE: Visuals are the key to emphasis!

@Thrifty: I guess I had that coming - been duckin' n divin' until you tagged me

@ Damien: It's more of a phobia at this stage -

I will no, nay, never
no nay never no more
drink the ol' bainne
no nay never no more

Caro August 06, 2008 3:31 am  

I used to love milk, then I heard someone refer to it as "cow juice" and that somehow ruined the buzz for me.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) August 06, 2008 10:08 am  

@ Caro: yeah - once you have a negative image in your head - there's no going back

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP