We Have Moved


The move went reasonably well as moves go. The movers (3 blokes and a truck) showed up on time and we cleared out the old place in 2 hours. The owner (who is a right ol' bee-atch) came to make sure we hadn't trashed the place. She's been calling the real estate agent to get him to call us, to make sure we hand over photocopies proving the bills have been paid. He's just as sick of her nagging as we are. I can understand being concerned about your property but my mother-in-law works with this daft old bag so it's not as if we could do a runner.

42 boxes, 23 bags and furniture from a two bedroom flat doesn't fit easily into a one bedroom flat so when we'd offloaded the last box we locked the place up and headed for the pub knowing we'd have to regroup and fight that battle another day (3 days as it transpired!)

We had a bit of a shock yesterday as the gas water heater spontaneously combusted and thick black smoke spewed everywhere as the failsafe water mechanism kicked in to douse the flames. It took a day to source and install a replacement. We discovered the difference between renting and owning a property. If you rent, you just call the landlord to get stuff fixed. If you own, you're on your own!

It's strange being without a land line phone, TV and internet which take forever to get connected here. I found if I held my laptop at a certain angle while dangling off the balcony I can pilfer someones WI-FI signal and check emails. It's hard to hold that position for long without attracting onlookers cheering "JUMP! JUMP! JUMP!" so I have a bit of a 'back blog' in terms of reading and posting right now.

Tags: moving buenos aires, moving argentina, we have moved, moving to a new apartment buenos aires, buying an apartment buenos aires

If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates via email or RSS reader (Top Right)

13 comments:

Baino September 03, 2008 5:34 pm  

You bought a place? Must be there for the long hall eh? I don't envy you and welcome to the realm of the DIY gang! If I was renting I'd have the landlord over here once a week fixing stuff. Dont drop your laptop!

Rob September 03, 2008 7:56 pm  

First off, I hope "Long Hall" was a pun.

Secondly, moving is a bitchfest.

Fourthly, I am not good at chronology

Megan September 04, 2008 12:25 am  

As long as you are only dangling a laptop, I think you're safe...

Martin September 04, 2008 11:54 am  

An apartment in Argentina must have set you back what, 4 dollars?

I still couldn't afford one.

ExercisingHappiness September 04, 2008 11:37 pm  

Congratulations Paddy!! The excitement really starts now! Wave to the in-laws for me (:

Anonymous,  September 05, 2008 7:40 am  

Good luck in your new premises. Hope there are no other shocks like the water heater exploding! And make sure you don't fall off the balcony, we don't want to lose such a vital member of blogland!

Anonymous,  September 05, 2008 8:50 am  

someone taps into my network, don't mind so long as they aren't downloading

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) September 05, 2008 10:53 am  

@ Baino: Not sure about the long haul but yes we are now property owners for the first time

@ Robert: Welcome - good catch on the long haul pun - you're not related to David Hogan
per chance?

@ Megan: there are harsh penalties for danging anything else!

@ Xbox: your close - think of total price here = the deposit where you are.

@ Shanie: Thanks - don't worry - they know how to find us!

@ Nick: Thanks - so far so good

@ Roy: I secure mine as much as possible since I do online banking etc but thankfully not everyone else does or I'd webless right now

Rob September 05, 2008 11:19 am  

I have a newphew called David Hogan, but I would imagine we all do at some point.

Sully Sullivan September 05, 2008 12:20 pm  

Yikes fitting stuff from a 2 bedroom into a 1 bedroom. That's tough stuff right there. I'm dreading moving, I have waaaaay too much crap.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) September 05, 2008 1:52 pm  

@ Robert: Perhaps just a coincidence but I met a young lad called David Hogan out here doing his world tour a few weeks ago - He hails from Malahide I think

@ Sully:My missus refuses to get rid of stuff so we have to be very creative how we arrange and store stuff. We did manage to leave some boxes with various people which helped

Baino September 05, 2008 10:57 pm  

Dammit Robert, I meant 'haul' . . price you pay for commenting after 5 chardonnays.Jonathon Swift and Albert Einstein couldnt spell either you know!!

Nomadic Matt September 08, 2008 12:07 am  

I can totally relate as I've been MIA forever. Good luck with the new apartment and the move. Take some photos of the new pad huh?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP