LOTTERY STRATEGY



I used to bet on the horses while I was in high school but I lost interest by the time I went to college.  I suppose I found other vices to better occupy my time.  After I started working I would buy those scratch cards with “Instant Winnings” and never won more than the price of the scratch card back.  I’ve been playing the UK lottery for a few years now.  I’m part of a syndicate of 13 (unlucky for some) people who have yet to scoop the big one.

 

I also have my own subscription with 6 numbers that I can manage online. It’s now been over a year with these same numbers and I have yet to get more than 2 numbers. You only win a paltry 10 quid if you get three numbers but these numbers have been entered twice a week (Wednesday and Saturday) for 15 months. That works out at 128 times some air ball machine spat out numbered ping pong balls and I couldn’t even get a lousy 3 of those numbers. I started to think there must be some hefty odds against this run of bad luck. What happened the ‘Luck of the Irish’ for shucks sake! You know leprechauns, pots of gold, 4 leaf clovers, blarney stones, Celtic tigers!!

 

Can lottery machines be prejudiced toward me?

Is there a global conspiracy against me fulfilling my dream as a millionaire?

 

Then I found this odds calculator and I ran the numbers to reveal

 the Odds of drawing:

3 numbers is 1 in 57

4 numbers is 1 in 1032

5 numbers is 1 in 54,201

6 numbers is 1 in 13,983,186

 

Any other mugs like me out there playing this or similar nonsense?

What’s the most you won?

Tags: lottery, lotto, strategy, winning, win, how to, Ireland, UK lottery

If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates via email or RSS reader - Click Here

20 comments:

Martin October 07, 2008 5:54 pm  

keep going, you're a shoe in to win.

just a matter of time.

**cough**

**sucker**

**cough**

Anonymous,  October 07, 2008 9:34 pm  

Hey, it's a matter of luck. I had a friend who keeps winning free stuff, like door prizes, or just purchasing one ticket but that ticket ended up winning. Kiss lady luck!

Anonymous,  October 07, 2008 10:01 pm  

I once had three tickets for a $14 million draw. I ended up with a 4/6 and 2 3/6s. The kicker: I had all six numbers, but not on the same ticket.

That was my shot at the big time. I still work for a living.

a. October 07, 2008 11:26 pm  

I used to have a picture of a guy with his head in his hands with the caption "Luck of the Irish"

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) October 08, 2008 12:31 am  

@Xbox: Did you just call me a cough sucker?!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) October 08, 2008 12:35 am  

@ Jenny: I'll kiss almost anything to win at this stage

@ Stevo: So close but yet so far - you must've beem bummed

@ Annie: I can autograph that picture for you if you like

Megan October 08, 2008 1:10 am  

So funny - I could not load this post from work, because it has the word "lottery" in the title.

I went to a wedding once that had "scratchers" as the wedding favors. Nobody won nothin' (that I know of - maybe they kept it a secret so they wouldn't have to tell 300 people that they weren't going to share).

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) October 08, 2008 1:48 am  

@ Megan: I think I'm banned in many places - Are you SURE you didn't win?

Anonymous,  October 08, 2008 3:00 am  

Don't you know that if you stop doing it though your numbers will come up the following week

Caro October 08, 2008 5:35 am  

I'd go back to the horses if I were you.

miss tango October 08, 2008 7:40 am  

The most I won was 10 dollars getting 3 numbers. Maybe 3 times. And once in 1989 I won 50 on a scratch card.

Broke But Still Drinking October 08, 2008 9:56 am  

It saddens me to watch old folks throw away all that money each week with so many starving college students in the world

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) October 08, 2008 11:05 am  

@ Conortje: Murphys Law in action

@ Caro: Better odds for sure

@ Miss Tango: Your track record is better than mine

@ Broke: and lets not even start talking about Bingo

Anonymous,  October 09, 2008 10:00 am  

as you've said yerself.....Mugs game

Anonymous,  October 09, 2008 10:39 am  

Oh, I never think I am a lucky girl to win something I want. So I never play Lottery or other such games.

But I am interesting in the movie named 21, which is inspired by the true story of the MIT Blackjack Team. I think card counting must be very interesting.

Thriftcriminal October 10, 2008 3:17 am  

Been known to give it a whirl. The odds are very poor, but people still do win, and like the ad says: It could be you!

The occasional punt on the lottery in the half hearted hope that it will allow me to live comfortably in rural misanthropy for the rest of my days is, I think, justifiable.

Ed & Jeanne October 10, 2008 6:44 pm  

I've never played a lottery. What are my odds of winning?

ps - I left a contest blog post out there. I have no idea how the contest works but I entered anyway...couldn't pass up the challenge. It'll probably just be a popularity thing for the winner but that's ok...

Anonymous,  October 16, 2008 1:48 pm  

I'm afraid the most I've ever won was a hefty dose of reality :(

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) October 16, 2008 10:10 pm  

@All: I have an itchy nose - Either I'm going to win big or I have dry snots - will let you know

irishpolyglot October 17, 2008 9:10 pm  

I used to play the lottery regularly, but I find that it makes me think of a pipe dream down the road that will never happen. This guy explains it best:

Believe it or not, I'm so much happier now knowing that I'm not going to win the Lotto!! :P

Regards from another Irish expat currently living in Buenos Aires ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP