Irish in Buenos Aires


Irish Leprechauns really look like this (ok it was this photo or a midget in a green suit?)

Truth be told, I'm a bit of an intravert (not unsociable but I do shy away from the big get togethers) and I'm not a big social networker. I typically avoid the expat gatherings here. There's plenty of social activities with the in-laws to keep me busy and interacting.

A four hour lunch with verbal diarrhoea is par for the course with the in-laws. I went to a few expat gigs when we arrived but was put off by the whole experience. On the one hand, by the mix of immature frat boy dorks on their 6-12 month whirl wind tour and on the other hand by the Argie vultures looking for fresh expat meat to prey on. One individual was trying to sell me a Ferrari!

A few weeks ago I finally relented and attended an expat gathering once more. I bumped into a fellow Irishman who asked me "Are you Paddy in BA?" - Jaezuz - I'm famous I thought (for a moment)!

I thought that I was the only 'Paddy' in BA, but he burst that bubble in double quick time and it soon transpired there's feckin'
loads of Paddys here.

Well obviously you can imagine my disgust. It's like Columbus being told that some gobshite Irish monk called Saint Brendan sailed from Ireland in a makeshift piece of crap boat and discovered America before Columbus did - as if!

On Saturday, I went the suburb of Acasusso (30 mins outside the centre) to infiltrate this close knit group of Paddys. The occasion was to watch Ireland kick Argentinas arse in rugby (always a nice spectacle). The Irish banter amongst us was flowing, as was the beer. I realised these people are potentially more Irish
(friendlier, wittier, Irisher) than I am.

Thankfully, I have a good lawyer and contacts in immigration. If all goes to plan, I'll have ALL of them deported in a few weeks. Finally, I WILL be the only 'Paddy in BA' (as it should be)


Tags: ..Irish in Buenos Aires..


If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates click here


.

.

19 comments:

TCL November 24, 2008 12:34 am  
This comment has been removed by the author.
TCL November 24, 2008 12:41 am  

Bugger Paddy! You mean I can't escape the frat boy dorks by leaving the States?

Anonymous,  November 24, 2008 3:59 am  

The Irish get everywhere, don't they? There's probably huge ex-pat communities in outer space. So were they full of nostalgia for home or glad to be out of the economic meltdown?

Anonymous,  November 24, 2008 5:22 am  

At least St. Brendan had the sense to keep his gob shut about it.

Anonymous,  November 24, 2008 5:40 am  

That girl's hot, wow :)

And I don't know if the Irish are everywhere. I yet have to meet one here in Hungary :D
(maybe they are in Budapest)

Good Luck with getting them deported *grin*

Anonymous,  November 24, 2008 6:32 am  

Thank you for that picture.

Just, thanks.

Broke But Still Drinking November 24, 2008 8:08 am  

I'm on a similar quest. I'm attempting to rid the States of all the broke drinkers but I'm afaid it will take more time and effort than I can afford.

Anonymous,  November 24, 2008 12:39 pm  

Your best post ever! what's it about?

Baino November 24, 2008 2:47 pm  

Any excuse to get a beautiful bum and scantilly clad woman to grab the attention of your MALE readers. what about a nice Latin bloke for the ladies! and you'll never get rid of the Paddys, they're everywhere. Our Irish pubs would go broke without them!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) November 24, 2008 5:26 pm  

@ TCL: I'm afraid you'll be bumping into lots of your most hated neighbours

@ Nick: Most were glad to be out especially now the celtic Tiger is 6 foot under

@ Primal: that was only because he took a vow of silence

@ Nicole: Head to the local Irish pub - you'll find them there

@ Maxi: I sleaze to please

@ Broke: You should be uniting them to rise up against the establishment

@ Roy: No idea - I'm too busy looking at a certain picture

@ Xbox: It'll get you in the mood for you know what

@ Baino: the male body just isn't the same but let me see what I can dig up

Thriftcriminal November 24, 2008 5:33 pm  

can't comment. No blood left in brain.

Nomadic Matt November 24, 2008 7:33 pm  

just don't deport her ok?

Megan November 24, 2008 11:01 pm  

You will always be the only Paddy to me.

She'll never tell you that.

Anonymous,  November 25, 2008 3:46 am  

ah you've no need to worry - you're still unique :-)

Ed & Jeanne November 25, 2008 10:38 am  

Oh hey, look at that...you wrote something here too. You lost me at the picture...

Anonymous,  November 25, 2008 1:34 pm  

Quote "@ Nicole: Head to the local Irish pub - you'll find them there"

Funny - I'm glad there's a local Bar here, let alone an Irish Pub.....
:P

(I'm sure there's one or two in Budapest and maybe some of the other two big cities, but that's about it ;)

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) November 25, 2008 3:45 pm  

@Thrifty: tap it with a cold spoon and think of Mary Harney

@Matt: she gets sent to MY detention center

@Megan: cheers Megs - and how true

@Conortje: yes - but so was Bertie Ahern

@VE: sorry can't respond - busy reviewing a photo

@Nicole: hmmm...business op me thinks - build it and they will come!

TCL November 25, 2008 6:37 pm  

Just leave the chica alone.

You work on the Irish and I'll take care of expelling the frat boys.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP