Irish Rover - Part 6

....continued from Irish Rover Part 5 - Part of a series of posts recalling my wandering ways.

I had a great Xmas back in Ireland that year, reconnecting after 3 years with family and friends and Guinness (ah the Guinness and it's after effects!) but I needed to earn some cash and get the necessary paperwork together before I could avail of the lottery green card to get me into the USA. One of my closest friends lived in Liverpool, UK so I headed there in the new year. I figured the home of the Beatles would offer me ample opportunity for work so I could save some funds for the upcoming adventure.

I figured wrong! - 'Strawberry Fields Forever' it was NOT! - More like 'Penny Lane' - After 6 months I had to reluctantly admit defeat on the job search. With the exception of making some great friends and getting to explore the nearby amazing countryside, what a god awful depressing city it was (especially in Winter) - I hope and pray it's improved.

I have one vivid memory of two Liverpudlian lasses beating the holy crap out of each other, over an argument about who was next in the taxi queue. I think it scared me more because I knew they would have kicked the sh!t out of me given half a chance. Ruff-ruff working class city!

I moved down to London (again) and got a job as a temp in a US based bank within a week. It was another 6 months before I got all my paperwork in order that I finally got on a plane (on New Years day) to the USA. The Big Apple - New York City was to be my next home.

I found a tiny (very tiny) studio apartment in Forrest Hills, Queens and with a bit of luck the same US bank hired me in NY so I walked straight into a job. Well, walked straight is not quite true, as one of the worst snow storms on record hit the north east coast of the US that January so the walk was thru this little obstacle course.


New York Snow Blizzard 1


New York Snow Blizzard 2

This delicate little pasty Irish lad had never experienced anything quite like the cold in NY. My ears would freeze and actually hurt with the cold after a minute outside. My snot would freeze and block my breathing thru my nose. I was the proverbial brass monkey with his private bits in a freezer. But it was an exciting time and a new beginning. A new world to be explored and more adventures ahead. I figured I'd give it six months and see if I liked it. If not, sure there was always somewhere else to move on to.


Sorry but I'm afraid there's more of this drivel to follow....

Tags: ..Irish Rover ..


If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates click here


.




.

10 comments:

Anonymous,  December 02, 2008 12:02 am  

Yep. That's what they call "walnut weather" all right.

Don't suppose they sell those big woolly klax in New York like the ones the lads in Braveheart wore.

Megan December 02, 2008 12:41 am  

I like good drivel.

Guinness here is not Guinness there, and that's about all I have to say about that.

Banks? New York? Aren't you glad you aren't still there, then?

Anonymous,  December 02, 2008 4:15 am  

More like Penny Lane than Strawberry Fields - I like it! From what I hear, Liddypool hasn't changed much, still pretty grim. I can never believe the weather they get in New York. So what do they do with the cars - just wait till the snow's thawed again?

Broke But Still Drinking December 02, 2008 9:51 am  

I bet you were begging for some of that sweet Irish rain after a few snowballs took residence inside your nostrils. Nothing worse than sniffing and feeling as though your nose has been replaced by an ice maker.

TCL December 02, 2008 12:29 pm  

There's always the pleasures of a rare snow day in New York. The normally busy streets are cleared and the pace of life slows to a more manageable pace. All things considered the weather isn't that cold in NYC. It's not Buffalo.

But how exciting it is to find one's way in a new world. It's like being a newborn, everything is to be sought out and tried.

Try DC. Two inches of snow or slush and nobody knows how to walk, drive, and the metro starts running later than the usual lateness. Markets are cleared like like the populace is preparing for war or a typhoon.

Martin December 02, 2008 2:32 pm  

those pics are fairly bloody class...

I LOVE the freezing cold.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) December 02, 2008 4:06 pm  

@Primal: I eventually relented and wore big fluffy ear muffs

@Megan: Yeah Vitamin G only tastes good in the ol' sod

@Nick: Yeah - it's a wait game that sometimes goes on for weeks

@Broke: the nice part about NY is after it snows the sun comes out again and there are blue skies - that rarely happens in Ireland

@TCL: that's true - the alternate street parking law is also put on hold - at least NY is very prepared for the snow

@casas rurales: Never had the pleasure to find out ;-)

@Xbox: I don't mind the cold so much but if it's windy and cold and your nether regions are freezing then I don't like it so much

Baino December 03, 2008 2:46 am  

That snow looks fantastic today. I'd give anything to feel 'cold'. It's hot and sticky and there's lasagne in the oven (kid request) . .must be mad!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) December 03, 2008 9:32 am  

@ Baino: the grass is always greener - I'm a spring season fan myself

Unknown December 04, 2008 10:30 am  

I love these stories and flashbacks :D
That snow storm looks like something fierce, yuck.
I didn't know it gets that cold in NY, bbbrrr....

I'll forward your blog to a girl from Expat blog who wants to get out of the US. I guess she can find some insights on your blog :)

Nicole
http://nicoleb.org/b2/

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP