Typhoon Season, Hong Kong

As I mentioned in a previous post I recently returned from Beijing to Hong Kong only to find we were arriving by plane in the middle of a typhoon which made the landing a wee bit rocky a.k.a good job I was wearing brown underwear that day, cos if it wasn't that colour to begin with, it sure was pretty close to brown afterward.

Now there's turbulence and then there's turbulence and then there's turbo turbulence (okay - so I just made that shit up) but this was like sitting in a giant cocktail shaker and being shaken AND stirred - I almost had a license to puke!

I managed to contain most of my bodily fluids on that trip which is more than I can say of my fellow passengers who filled vomit bag after vomit bag with diced carrot stew - Strange didn't see that on the in-flight menu?

Here's a taste of what went down from a storm trooper on the ground!




Tags: .Typhoon Season, Hong Kong..


If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates click here

7 comments:

Stevo September 22, 2009 7:29 pm  

Nasty. I landed during a rocky flight in July - not fun. The season's almost over. No fun until next June.

Thriftcriminal September 23, 2009 4:25 am  

Initially I thought "Sure, that's just like regular Sligo stuff". But then I saw people in shorts and public transport, both of which are illegal in Sligo.

nick September 23, 2009 4:26 am  

Fortunately I've never experienced turbulence like that despite flying all over the world. But my 87 year old mother had a terrifying experience landing at Nice in a severe thunderstorm and vowed never to fly again. I managed to persuade her to fly over to Belfast recently to see us, so hopefully she's feeling more confident now.

Baino September 23, 2009 7:38 am  

I say potayto you say potahto . . we say cyclone, you say typhoon. . .I am so shit scared of flying that spew inducing turbulence would have me reaching for the rohipnol. I did once have to get into a 'crash' position for a flight from Copenhagen to London. Strangely it was calm acceptance of what turned out to be a safe landing. We all clapped he pilot.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) September 23, 2009 8:17 am  

@ Stevo: thankfully a wee break

@ Thrifty: Everything is illegal in Sligo

@ Nick: Well done on persuading her - it's not easy at that age

@ Baino: Argh- I wouldn't like assuming crash position - thank goodness it was all ok in the end

Ed & Jeanne September 24, 2009 8:29 pm  

I know all about those. I was shut down in HK once and I went through Super Typhoon Zeb in Taiwan.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) September 24, 2009 8:51 pm  

@ VE: I wouldn't fancy a Super Typhoon - the regular one is plenty bad enough

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP