Hiking Sharp Peak, Sai Kung, Hong Kong

I'm always up for a challenge and like to push the envelope at least as far as hiking is concerned. This is what greeted me on my recent trek to the summit of Sharp Peak. Showing me this is akin to telling a fly to stay away from a freshly laid hot steamy pile of dog shite. I was not to be deterred.

This is the summit in the distance. It looks a tad intimidating but it's only 468 metres to the top.
As I turned a bend I bumped into a four legged hiker taking a break. There are quite a lot of these 'wild' cows in Hong Kong. This was to be my only encounter with a living breathing thing for several hours.
It's a tough but manageable trek on a steep gravely path to the top.
It's worth the effort however as the view from the top is pretty spectacular.
The walk back to the road is pretty darn impressive too.
How to get there: Take the MTR to Choi Hung - Exit C2 for green minibus # 1A to Sai Kung terminus - then bus # 94 to Pak Tam Au - Walk up the road and take Maclehose Trail Stage #2 - after an hour you'll see a sign for Sharp Peak on your left. Return the same way or head on to the beaches of Tai Long Wan

There's some good video and loads more photos below - Enjoy!






Tags: .Hiking Sharp Peak, Sai Kung, Hong Kong..


If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates click here

11 comments:

Baino November 14, 2009 2:25 am  

Wow you are an intrepid traveller. I'd be knackered doing that but the view is lovely. Looks a bit hazy? Is that the humidity or pollution? Nice to know that there are places of wilderness around such a bustling and busy city.

Maya November 14, 2009 2:51 am  

Looks like a great hike, what was the length? When I look at your picture of the Sharp Peak in the distance, I can almost hear it calling to me. We used to run--or maybe I should say hike--into cows all the time when we were in Spain. I can't say that I miss hiking among the cow pies. Thanks for sharing.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) November 14, 2009 3:26 am  

@ Baino: We do get a lot of haze here - it's a combo of humidity and sometimes pollution :-(

@ Maya: It was about a 14km hike - there's a lotta cow crap traps on these hikes too

nick November 14, 2009 3:37 am  

I'm just amazed there are so many fantastic hikes to be had. Who'd have guessed it?

TCL November 16, 2009 9:01 pm  

Awesome! You should charge the Hong Kong government an Argentine peso per kilometer.

Unknown November 17, 2009 11:48 am  

Oooohhhhhhhkkkkkkkkkeeeyyyyyy..... I DO envy you for the view at the end.
BUT I don't even want to think of the hike up there.
That was tough work.
Awesome shots!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) November 17, 2009 11:38 pm  

@ TCL: I'd be rich!

@ NicoleB: Thanks - not as bad as i was expecting

mina November 21, 2009 3:27 am  

You are intense! Stunning photos!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP