2010 - The Decade in Review

This is more the decade from my perspective or how the decade impacted me.  Without further ado here's what Paddy in BA remembers from the last ten years. I've likely killed a few brain cells so there might be stuff missing!





2000 - Started the millennium with a fantastic family reunion in Seville Spain.




2001 - Slept thru the 9/11 terrorist attack in New York. Moved to our Wall Street office 2 weeks later and suffered respiratory problems due to air quality of Ground Zero.


2002 - Traveled the far flung corners of the US from head to toe to armpit and got my photo on the front page of The NEW YORK TIMES travel section as a frugal traveler (aka cheap bastage!)

2003 - Took the plunge and got married to Mrs 'P in BA' not just once but five times just to be sure to be sure. #1 = registry office NY, #2 = registry office Buenos Aires, #3,#4 & #5 - Special combo ceremony with Jewish, Catholic and Civil representatives and a translator for good measure. - The photo above is my Dad dancing with a samba dancer (one of the acts at the wedding)



2004 - Finally learned how to drive (better late than never).  Reggie, my loyal Filipino driving instructor took my theory class for me. After 10 lessons and a five minute test I had a driving license but I still can't drive a stick shift manual transmission and can't parallel park and have never owned a car.


2005 - Went to 'Carnival' in Trinidad and Tobago and partied like a rock star. These folks were more than happy to pose for the picture.  After a ten year stint, finally bid New York farewell and moved to London via a transfer with work.  Slept thru the 7/7 Tube Bombings in London (yes I think trouble seems to follow me or do I follow it?)

2006 - Visited the far flung corners of Europe on the luxurious Ryan Air sardine tins




2007 - Resigned from the rat race and moved to Buenos Aires to take some time out





2008 - Explored South and Central America via vomit comet and urine stenched buses. Ate more steak in one year than my previous lifetime combined. Cholesterol levels went thru the roof.


2009 - Moved to Hong Kong to search for fame and fortune cookies. Found cookies but still looking for fame and fortune. Explored a good chunk of South East Asia.  Developed an addiction to hiking. This picture is the neighbourhood of Whampoa in Hung Hom where I live. The ship is actually a shopping mall!


2010? - Who the Flux knows? - Sticking around Asia for now

In summary, a pretty darn good decade. I've learned one significant lesson. Doing what's expected of you i.e. what society dictates or expects is often, NOT what makes you happy.  Conclusion: Do what makes you happy. Life is short. Life is good. Live your life.


Happy New Year folks!





Tags: ..The Decade in Review, Happy New Year..


If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates click here

15 comments:

nick December 25, 2009 12:15 pm  

So, plenty of travelling and new experiences, and why not while you have the time, energy and money to do it? I should probably have done a bit more travelling myself.

You're right, doing what's expected of you is not what makes you happy. Always follow your own instincts even if others think you're bonkers....

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) December 25, 2009 12:25 pm  

@ Nick: It's a difficult bit to sell but I'm sticking to it

Baino December 26, 2009 5:57 pm  

Terrible opening shot there Paddy. The world will never be the same. You only got your license in 2004? Amazing, I'd be so lost without my car. I think I should move to Trinidad where the more amply bossomed and those with thunder thighs seem to be appreciated! Haha love the ship in Honkers and you're right, do what makes you happy . . .just a little harder to follow through. Damn the debt or I'd be doing the same. . .well perhaps a little less mountain goating!

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, little rest now before New Year's Eve. Hey, you're lucky. You're in Hong Kong and can have two!

Martin December 26, 2009 7:03 pm  

Cool post that!

(that sounds like spam, but it is)

Anonymous,  December 26, 2009 11:28 pm  

It sounds like you're creating problems yourself by trying to solve this issue instead of looking at why their is a problem in the first place.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) December 27, 2009 12:54 am  

@ Baino: Thanks - yeah it's hard if not impossible to do with debts but you do have a fabulous place to kick back on your time off

@ Xbox: 'Xbox the Spammer' has a ring to it

@ Anony: What you talkin' bout Willis? - Solve what issue?

Anonymous,  December 27, 2009 11:06 pm  

Opulently I to but I contemplate the list inform should acquire more info then it has.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) December 28, 2009 5:13 am  

@ Anony: That's exactly what I was thinking

Thriftcriminal December 30, 2009 8:47 am  

The noughties have seen me married and a dad. Work-wise it was a case of coming down to earth with a bump, the extraordinary growth of the late 90's collapsing after the dot com bubble, followed by stagnation, attrition, atrophy and general limping along in a company once considered the civil service of Ireland's indigenous IC design industry. I'm long gone from there, but it limps still and sheds talent. Gone is the time when the world was my oyster and all things seemed possible, so now, going into the next decade I'll be busy reinventing myself and managing my career into less choppy waters. Perhaps I'll even convince the family to escape from Ireland Inc. and it's rotten little heart of crony capitalism.

Anonymous,  December 31, 2009 12:07 am  

Again a good post. Offer your also pen-friend

Ed & Jeanne December 31, 2009 5:40 pm  

Here's to another great decade!!

Well, my blog roll starts anew tomorrow. I'd be honored if you participate again in 2010. Leave a comment and you're on the blog roll! Thanks for visiting and commenting in 2009.

Ronan,  January 01, 2010 4:44 am  

Happy New Year. Back in Dublin for a quick visit.


Ronan

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) January 01, 2010 6:00 am  

@ Thrifty: It's been a interesting decade for you too I see. I have a few friends who are completely unaffected by the global economic collapse but more than a few that have been seriously affected. It's gonna be an interesting make or break decade for me

@ Anony: you should write poetry my friend

@ VE: I'll be right over mate

@ Ronan: Same to you mate - enjoy the ol' sod

yanqui mike January 04, 2010 11:27 am  

Dude! Carnival in Trinidad! That has been my dream for years (I almost went this year.)

Please, please tell me more about it!

I've always heard that the comida hindu there is to die for.

Great blog you got there,
Mike

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) January 04, 2010 11:42 am  

@ Yanqui Mike: You gotsta go mate - The food is great but the party is insane!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP