Hiking Plover Cove, Hong Kong

This probably rates in the top 3 hikes I've done in Hong Kong. Weather of course can make a HUGE difference to the scenery.  On this particular day it was spectacular but very hot and extremely humid and there's virtually no shade so I would advise bringing extra water. I had 2.5 litres which was barely enough. I didn't meet a single solitary soul for 5 hours on this hike - It was all very Robinson Crusoe-ish without the cannibals and Man Friday and the ship wreck and the storm and..... Okay so it wasn't very Robinson Crusoe-ish but it was an isolated spot for sure and the signs below weren't that inviting either.



 






How to get there: Take the KCR to Tai Po Market and then minibus 20C (fast) or bus 75K (slow) to Tai Mei Tuk and veer left along the water towards the reservoir. Walk all the way to the far side of the reservoir road/dam where the trail starts on your left. Time: Approx 5 Hours  Return: The same way.

More photos and video below - Enjoy!








Tags: ..Hiking Plover Cove, Hong Kong..


If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates click here

11 comments:

Thriftcriminal December 02, 2009 9:46 am  

Spectacular. I must get out on the hills again soon myself, I miss the heather and glory of it all, even if the weather is a bit shite here at the moment :-)

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) December 02, 2009 10:06 am  

@ Thrifty: I think I'd lose the plot if i couldn't escape these 4 walls and the concrete jungle on a regular basis

Maya December 02, 2009 10:43 pm  

Wonderful photos!
As we move into summer I find that we are having to carry more and more water with us--about a liter an hour. I have a camelbak with a 3 liter reservoir a then carry 2 extra liters for the longer hikes. It makes for a heavy pack at the start of the trail!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) December 03, 2009 1:40 am  

@ Maya: Thanks - yeah I need to get one of those camel backs - better safe than sorry on the water for sure

nick December 03, 2009 5:00 am  

Fabulous. The reflections on the water are amazing. I suppose it's good that they have warnings about the possible dangers. There are plenty of naive people who go happily into the Mourne Mountains and then find themselves in difficulties and have to be rescued.

Thriftcriminal December 03, 2009 6:54 am  

The Mournes are a place I really must get to, I believe they are really good for walking.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) December 03, 2009 9:51 am  

@ Nick: I actually surprised there aren't many casualties here - but they are a hardy old bunch

@ Thrifty: you over due a wilderness hike - put away that bike!

Baino December 05, 2009 4:27 pm  

You're a fitter person than I! I'd be staying on the mini bus. It's spectacular though. And so quiet. No birdsong?

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) December 06, 2009 5:59 am  

@ Baino: Not a lot of birds in some of these places for some strange reason but other places have photgeaphers from all over the world 'flocking'

imgarde November 19, 2012 11:49 am  

I agree - Plover cove walk is spectacular if you like long strenuous, solitary walks. I do live problems to find the beginning of the trail and while wondering around got a glimpse of located near waterfalls, Brides Pool and Mirror Pool.
I was wondering what are the other top two Hong Kong hikes in your opinion.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) November 19, 2012 12:56 pm  

Maclehose Trail - Stage 2 – Tai Long Wan (add sharp Peak for some more exercise!) and Maclehose Trail Stage 4 & 5

more here
http://paddyinba.blogspot.com/2009/12/hong-kong-hiking-highlights.html

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP