Hiking - Robins Nest, North East New Territories, Hong Kong

This is a recent hike I did after 4 weeks of neglecting my passion for ramblin' on the hills of Hong Kong.  It's on the border of the New Territories and Shenzhen, China.  There's a special area that's off limits to all but residents. To get there, I took the train to Fanling MTR then bus 78K towards Sha Tau Kok but you need to get off at Tseuk Leng San village before the checkpoint for the 'Closed Area Boundary'. I got kicked off the bus at the checkpoint because I didn't have a permit and was sent packing back towards Hong Kong.  Luckily it's only a ten minute walk back to Tseuk Leng San village. 


The start of trail can be found by clambering up to the tall electricity pylon to the right of the village. I had to walk over some graves on a hill (I'll probably be sent to fiery depths of hell for that!) and thru some bushes but I'm sure there must be a better way!

The peak is 492 metres with decent views of mainland China and the warning sign below!



More pics and video below - Enjoy!







To return to civilization: Walk down Wo Keng Shan Rd back to Sha Tau Kok Rd where you can get the 78K bus back to Fanling MTR or the minibus 55K to Fanling town then connect to minibus for Fanling MTR


Time taken: 3.5 hours on the trail


Tags: .Hiking - Robins Nest, NE NT, Hong Kong..


If you like what you've read, why not subscribe to updates click here

18 comments:

Anonymous,  February 26, 2010 3:59 pm  

Hello, as you can see this is my first post here.
In first steps it's very nice if somebody supports you, so hope to meet friendly and helpful people here. Let me know if I can help you.
Thanks in advance and good luck! :)

nick February 27, 2010 3:37 am  

No entry without a written permit? Just the sort of sign guaranteed to make me walk straight past it and insist on my right to roam wherever I fancy.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) February 27, 2010 3:42 am  

@ Nick: That's exactly what I did although not too far as I didn't fancy ending up in a detention centre!

Niamh March 02, 2010 6:30 am  

Beautiful! I walked up around there a few times on trips from Bkk but didn't realise residents had extra passes - knew there had to be some reason everyone hang out down there! They love their signs don't they - wonder what they're hiding?!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) March 02, 2010 6:52 am  

@ Niamh: I'm sure I smelt a Poteen Still - or was that wisful thinking?!

Unknown March 03, 2010 5:22 pm  

Wow, what a beautiful view! Was the wind one could here in the Video?

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) March 03, 2010 9:14 pm  

@ Fida: Yes the wind picked up just as I got to the top and was pretty gusty up there

Maya March 03, 2010 11:18 pm  

Your are braver than I am. Seeing that sing I would have run the other way!

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) March 03, 2010 11:26 pm  

@ Maya: It's the rebel in me - Laws were meant to broken!

Ed & Jeanne March 06, 2010 7:16 pm  

Sounds like fun. I like to avoid regulations too...

Diarmuid Hayes March 07, 2010 12:22 pm  

99% of locals would obey these signs I´m thinking..or do they have a rebelious streak in them?

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) March 07, 2010 10:57 pm  

@ Diarmuid: yeah the locals mostly obey but the grass around the sign is well trampled by photo posing expats I reckon

Unknown March 09, 2010 10:10 am  

Once again: awesome and I'm envious :D!

Stevo March 10, 2010 7:28 am  

I'd like to get one of those permits. There a great number of graves and tombs near the border. Back in the day, it was as close as people could get to being buried on the mainland. Looking into the New Territories from Luohu (Luowu to you) there are tombs 'o' plenty. I have a thing for shooting graves...

The permit paperwork is difficult to say the least.

Paddy in BA (Quickroute) March 11, 2010 4:57 am  

@ Nicole: Thanks

@ Stevo: I think you'd have to be a resident of the 'zone' to get the permit

Anonymous,  March 02, 2015 7:04 pm  

Stevo, the graves are not there because of proximity to mainland China, the graves are in this area because of proximity to local villages. My grandparents are buried in the hills and after their second burial, we had a Feng Shui Burial House built for them in the hills.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive

Latest Posts

Post Widget by Hoctro

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2012

Back to TOP